Tycoon Enrique Razon Jr.’s Negros Electric and Power Corp., the power distributor in central Negros Occidental, said on Wednesday that it has set aside P2.1 billion for a modernization program as the joint venture firm running the province’s distribution network enters its second year.
Negros Power is a joint venture between Primelectric Holdings Inc. and the Central Negros Electric Cooperative (CENECO).
In a news release, Negros Power said it has so far invested more than P1.2 billion in its P2.1-billion modernization program, two years into the CENECO-Primelectric partnership.
To recall, in 2023, Primelectric proposed the partnership with CENECO as the electric cooperative faced financial and operational challenges.